Thursday, October 22, 2009

High-end fashion, low-end price?

It’s recently been announced that Jimmy Choo are teaming up with H&M to create a small line of high street priced clothes and shoes. This isn’t the first of these collections and probably it won’t be the last.

Recently Christopher Kane has done a line for TopShop (which many fashion editors were spotted in this LFW) and Matthew Williamson did a line for H&M in the summer, which was worn by many celebs.

Christopher Kane for Topshop Matthew Williamson for H&M.

These are just two of the most recent high end collections – H&M has collaborated in the past with Karl Largerfeld, Victor and Rolf, Solange Azagury-Partridge, Stella McCartney and Madonna (amongst others – see here). As an avid fashionista I have bought many of the pieces from the various ranges (Karl Largerfeld, Stella, Solange, Victor and Rolf) but apart from my Victor and Rolf Tee and my Karl Largerfeld dress I have been uniformally disappointed. The plating came of the Solange Azagury-Partrisdge ring I had and began to cut my finger, the Stella dress began to thin, and most of the other collections looked, well, cheap (or had sold out completely).

The Jil Sander at Uniqlo that launched earlier this month looks fab because, like the Karl Lagerfeld, it’s almost all in black and properly made rather than made on the cheap and sold cheap – they really are keepers.

Jil Sander for Uniqlo

I’m personally a little worried about the Jimmy Choo/H&M collection as I think that some of the products could come out looking a little cheap. When a pair of shoes is £49.99, they can never look expensive. I think that any shoes that cost that much will not be the best quality (certainly I am crippled so badly by high street shoes that I had to sell my gorgeous Zara booties sad times). Therefore, I am sceptical about the comfort and quality of this line. If it were cheaper, they’d be throw away, but at this price they’re not really keepers either.

Jimmy Choo for H&M (see their website for more details and pictures…)

Anyway, I am not sure that these designer/high street collaborations are actually value for money. Yes, you feel smug and successful for snagging a hot, cheap designer piece BUT are they really value for money? Often made from cheap fabrics and not built to last but costing upwards of £100. Personally I think that if you’re going to spend over £100, maybe a £150, why not by something from Marc by Marc Jacobs or another diffusion line? The quality will be better and they will last longer.

This is my opinion, let me know what you think xxx

P.S. Jimmy Choo for H&M hits UK stores on the 14th November from 9am…

No comments:

Post a Comment